I ♥ Magellan Cross Cebu City 11/05/2011


During my elementary days we always discuss the different tourist destination in the Philippines.One of which is the famous Magellan Cross in Cebu City. Magellan's Cross is a Christian cross planted by Portuguese, and Spanish explorers as ordered by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu in the Philippines on (depending on source) April 14 or 21, 1521. I was really fascinated about the history of the cross; how it became the symbol of the Spaniard to conquer the Philippines.

Magellan's Cross is one of the most visited tourist attraction of Cebu City. During my first trip in Cebu I wasn't able to visit this popular destination because my friend said that it is just a cross in the middle of the park so we just headed to Bohol which another tourist spot in the Visayan Region. Fortunately, I was able to visit the beautiful city of Cebu again with my college friends. This time, Magellan's cross is included in our itinerary. We were a group of 12 people so we just commuted using the local jeep and walked along the streets of Cebu City. 

The great thing with commuting is that you’ll be able to grasp the culture of Cebuanos in a more personal way. I realized that the beggars here in Cebu were a bit shyer to ask for alms compared to Manila where beggars were sometimes stubborn if you are not going to give them anything. I also noticed that they were very religious; I saw a lot of churches while walking from left to right.
We finally arrived in Basilica del Sto. Niño where the Magellan Cross is located. Upon entering the church, we noticed a lot of people who wanted to attend the mass. I really felt the positive energy in the area. It’s good to know that there were still people who believe in the power of prayer.

For us to get to Magellan’s cross we need to enter an arc because the cross is on the other side of the church. After bumping to a lot of people entering the church we finally saw the Magellan’s Cross. 
I was in awe when I saw the Magellan’s Cross. I could never imagine myself seeing this tourist spot with my own eyes. The feeling of meeting a familiar friend is what I just felt when I saw it. Of course we took tons of pictures with the cross and appreciate the beauty of the spot. We didn’t stay for long because it’s getting dark already and we still have other plans in Cebu City so we just took another last group picture in Sto. Nino church and went back to our hotel.

I will not forget the experience that I had when I went to Magellan’s cross. Seeing it with my own eyes helped me understand why the Cebuanos allowed the Spaniards to conquer their land. The Spaniards really knew how to capture the heart of the religious Filipino people.





$value) { if (strpos($param, 'color_') === 0) { google_append_color($google_ad_url, $param); } else if (strpos($param, 'url') === 0) { $google_scheme = ($GLOBALS['google']['https'] == 'on') ? 'https://' : 'http://'; google_append_url($google_ad_url, $param, $google_scheme . $GLOBALS['google'][$param]); } else { google_append_globals($google_ad_url, $param); } } return $google_ad_url; } $google_ad_handle = @fopen(google_get_ad_url(), 'r'); if ($google_ad_handle) { while (!feof($google_ad_handle)) { echo fread($google_ad_handle, 8192); } fclose($google_ad_handle); } ?>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I ♥ Puting Buhangin Pagbilao - Quezon (2012) - 09/29/2012

I ♥ PMA BAguio City 12/12/2010

I ♥ Batis Aramin Lucban Quezon 03/13/2011