I ❤ Bohol (2009) - 12-14-2009

Bohol











After our Cebu City tour, we took the 2-hour boat ride from Cebu port to Tagbilaran port via Ocean Jet. We went to Cebu Bohol Marine Terminal around 4 in the morning and bought our tickets there. You can check the daily trips and ticket prices on their website - http://oceanjet.net/.

Although our ferry ride was delayed, I was entertained by the in-house movie shown on a big flat TV screen on the deck. It was still dark when we boarded, so we couldn't see the view from our window seat because we were inside. The waves were not that big. It was my first time riding a ferry, and all my fears disappeared when I tried riding Ocean Jet.

We arrived at Tagbilaran port around 9 in the morning, and our driver, Kuya Hansel, was already waiting for us. He brought his car with him, and we started our Bohol countryside tour.

1. BLOOD COMPACT SITE

The first sight we visited was this famous Sandugo site. Monuments were built with a picturesque background. Our guide, Kuya Hansel, told us that this is not the official Sandugo Site, but it was a really good place for photo opportunities.

2. BACLAYON CHURCH

The second oldest church in the Philippines stood gorgeously against the scorching sun. When we visited this site on a Sunday, I was amazed when I heard the homily in the Bisayan dialect. I was frustrated because I couldn't understand or speak their dialect, but seeing the people inside who were Catholic as well made me realize that faith is universal. The most intriguing part of the church was the Padre Pio Markings on the wall. At first, I had difficulty seeing the shape of the Markings, but after focusing on the wall for a few minutes, the image finally appeared before my eyes.

3. MAN-MADE FOREST

After an hour-long drive from Baclayon Church, we arrived at this highway with mahogany trees planted on the side. It was like a scene from Twilight, but the trees here were much thinner. I never thought it was a man-made forest, but it looked nice. I would have loved to take a lot of pictures, but there were a lot of approaching cars, so we decided not to risk our lives for a picture-perfect moment.

4. CHOCOLATE HILLS

When Kuya Hansel discussed our itinerary, Chocolate Hills were not included. Of course, a Bohol countryside tour will never be complete without seeing this wonder, so I suggested that we pay extra to see it. It was a two-hour drive, but it was a relaxing experience. I was not bored because of the very rural environment. It was nice to experience the simplicity of the rustic towns of Bohol. After arriving at Chocolate Hills around 11 in the morning, we found they were not brown, unfortunately. Still, the view was breathtaking. Even though I felt it was a bit overrated, it was different from the pictures I saw on the net. The very challenging part was the 200+ steps going up to the viewing deck. Additionally, it rained really hard, and there was no decent place to wait for the rain to stop. I also noticed a photo booth on the view deck. I found it humorous that they would take your photo with a tarpaulin of the Chocolate Hills in the background. I don't understand why people would pay for a photo op when they could take pictures with the real Chocolate Hills in the background. I guessed the tarpaulin's Chocolate Hills were prettier than the real thing. But the real question is why waste your money and time if you can just go to a studio for a photo op. Probably, we all have our own preferences, and I know we should respect each other's opinions. Anyways, after some photo ops in Chocolate Hills, Kuya Hansel told us we could have lunch at Loboc River, so we didn't stay long. I just bought an island souvenir shirt for 200 pesos, and off we went to Loboc River.

HANGING BRIDGE

I don't know if there's anything special about this hanging bridge because we have many in my hometown. But since it was just a few meters away from Loboc River, we paid to cross it just for fun. Across the bridge, we saw a souvenir shop selling locally made handcrafts. The bridge was made from bamboo and steel wire, but it looked too weak to support people crossing it. Probably people with a fear of heights find it interesting, but it's just a bridge to me.

LOBOC RIVER CRUISE

We reached Loboc River around noon. Kuya Hansel said Loboc River was optional in our itinerary, but I insisted it should be included because it's a must-do in Bohol.

The cruise along the river can start at either the Loay Bridge or at the Poblacion of Loboc. The Loay Bridge is 20 kilometers (12 mi) from Tagbilaran City, while the Poblacion is about 25 kilometers (16 mi) away. Small motorized bancas can be chartered for a minimal fee, and the boats can accommodate up to 50 people.

I thought we would just cruise the river, but to my surprise, we could have a buffet for 300 pesos. Since it was already lunchtime, the timing was perfect. I was really hungry, but because of the relaxing atmosphere inside the floating restaurant, I wasn't able to enjoy the Filipino dishes. What I loved the most was the cool breeze blowing inside as it traverses Loboc’s clean river, surrounded by lush green plants. It was truly an amazing experience that I never expected. Eating lunch had never been this fun and relaxing.

I believe the cruise would be even more enjoyable at night. The staff said the river would be illuminated by lanterns, and if you're lucky, you might see fireflies glowing. I was surprised when we were entertained by dancing children accompanied by a Bandurria band. There were adult women dressed in floral who were also playing in the band. I admired the townspeople of Loboc because they are creating a livelihood by entertaining the tourists coming to their place. I really felt the warmth of Filipino culture, a sense of community, and a joyful attitude.

PANGLAO ISLAND



Again, this part of Bohol was not included in our itinerary, but I insisted we should go there since we were already in Bohol. I heard that Panglao Island is one of the most sought-after beach destinations in the Philippines. I could say that your Bohol trip will never be complete without seeing the beauty of this humble island.
Our destination was Dumaluan beach, which is one of the few resorts on Panglao Island. The road to the island was a bit rough, and it took us about two hours to get there from Loboc River. After setting foot on the fine white sand of Panglao and seeing the vast, clear-turned-greenish-blue water, it was enchanting! I can't explain how beautiful the place was. Although there were only a few accommodations to choose from, like Dumaluan 1, 2, or Bohol Beach Club, we did not have a reservation because we still needed to go back to Cebu, and Bohol was just a s side trip in our itinerary. While we couldn't stay for long, we lingered for a while and wandered on the shore to take many photos. Bohol is one of my favorite places to unwind and de-stress. It always brings a smile to my face whenever I see pictures of Bohol, and I know for sure that I will be visiting this humble town again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I ♥ Puting Buhangin Pagbilao - Quezon (2012) - 09/29/2012

I ♥ PMA BAguio City 12/12/2010

I ♥ Batis Aramin Lucban Quezon 03/13/2011